About Guilden Sutton

 

 


Placeholder imageClick picture for pdf version
About
Guilden Sutton is a village of 630 properties with about 1660 inhabitants which lies in gently rolling countryside three miles to the east of Chester, and within sight of the Cathedral tower. It has grown substantially over the past century, but remains a rural village, surrounded by fields and totally within the Green Belt. The village name means "the southern homestead in the hollow where the marsh marigolds grow"
The close proximity to Chester, and with its excellent motorway links to Liverpool, Manchester, North Wales and the Potteries means that it has become a dormitory village, but maintains a good community spirit. A church and a chapel are located in the heart of the "old" part of the village, both of which have halls attached. Sadly the Methodist church has  closed and is now a residential dwelling.
There is a very active Community Association, whose Village Hall, opened in 1987 and extended in 1997, was built using money raised from community fundraising activities. The hall is well used by mother-and-toddler groups, for regular stage productions, parties, quizzes and exhibitions.
Guilden Sutton Primary School was rebuilt on a new site in 1990, and maintains an enviable reputation both for the quality of its teaching and its ambiance.
Other facilities available in our village include a newsagent/post office, general store, beautician, dentist's surgery, two hairdressers and the Bird in Hand public house.

 

History

The following miscellaneous historical references have links to, or are about, Guilden Sutton. There is also the Arthur Willis photo collection with B&W photos dating back to 1900 and which is on-line. Visit here

An interesting map of Guilden Sutton (circa 1881) amongst others can be found here. Old Maps

The Growth of a Township by H Arthur
A comprehensive account of Guilden Sutton from 1200 to 1981. Viewable and downloadable as a pdf.

The Report of The Charity Commissioners 1836
The Parish of Guilden Sutton : Annual payment of 6 shillings (30p) to the poor out of the parish-rates, which is supposed to be the interest of a legacy of £6 applied to the repairs of the church many years ago. It is distributed with the sacrament-money in small sums at Easter.

From: "Cheshire History" No 36 : 1996 - 1997 published by Cheshire Local History Association 'A Poor School' ... Guilden Sutton Church of England Elementary School, 1882 - 1907 p67- 93 a comprehensive article by Jackie Turton.

Roman encampments in Guilden Sutton
SJ4568 Temporary camp, see also Hoole Philpott, R. A., Britannia XXIX, 1998, pp p341-353
SJ4367 Temporary camp, see also Hoole Philpott, R. A., Britannia XXIX, 1998, pp p341-353
SJ4467 Temporary camp, see also Hoole Philpott, R. A., Britannia XXIX, 1998, pp p341-353 Hoole
SJ4267 Temporay camp, close to the Guilden Sutton group Philpott, R. A., Britannia XXIX, 1998, pp p341-353

The Early Neolithic of the Carden region (c 4300-3000 BC)
There was evidence of a Neolithic axehead found in Guilden Sutton

Listed buildings There are only 3 listed buildings in Guilden Sutton:
Hill Farmhouse, Wicker Lane - Grade II
Church of St John the Baptist, Church Lane - Grade II
Sundial in the Churchyard of St John the Baptist, Church Lane - Grade II
The Regional Environmental Sustainable Tourism Plan (RESTP) V2.8 August 2002 developed under European RECITE II, noted in its Appendices that "Hill Farmhouse is the most significant historic building in the parish".


St John's Church - Registers of Baptisms/Burials/Marriages
The following records are can be read on microfilm in the Archives and Local Studies Section at Manchester Central Library and in the Cheshire Record Office (probably on-line now):
Baptisms 1595-1932 MFPR677
Burials 1595-1952 MFPR677
Marriages 1595-1967 MFPR677 

 

History

The Early Neolithic of the Carden region (c 4300-3000 BC)
There was evidence of a Neolithic axehead found in Guilden Sutton

Listed buildings There are only 3 listed buildings in Guilden Sutton:
Hill Farmhouse, Wicker Lane - Grade II
Church of St John the Baptist, Church Lane - Grade II
Sundial in the Churchyard of St John the Baptist, Church Lane - Grade II
The Regional Environmental Sustainable Tourism Plan (RESTP) V2.8 August 2002 developed under European RECITE II, noted in its Appendices that "Hill Farmhouse is the most significant historic building in the parish".

St John's Church - Registers of Baptisms/Burials/Marriages
The following records are can be read on microfilm in the Archives and Local Studies Section at Manchester Central Library and in the Cheshire Record Office (probably on-line now):
Baptisms 1595-1932 MFPR677
Burials 1595-1952 MFPR677
Marriages 1595-1967 MFPR677