guilden sutton










(All information current on Nov 2010)



Nuisance High Hedges

Since 1st June 2005 Cheshire West and Chester Council has been administering the new High Hedge Regulations under Part 8 (High Hedges) of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003.

A high hedge is defined in the Act as a barrier to light or access as is formed wholly or predominately by a line of two or more evergreen or semi-evergreen trees or shrubs and rises to a height of more than 2 metres above ground level.

However the Act will only offer control over hedges that affect domestic properties, which are defined as a dwelling or any associated garden or yard.

Complaining to Cheshire West and Chester Council is seen as a last resort and should only be undertaken when all other avenues have been exhausted. If someone is troubled by a neighbouring hedge, the best way to deal with the issue is to discuss it amicably and agree a solution. For this reason, the law requires people to have taken reasonable steps to try to settle their hedge dispute for themselves before complaining to the local Council.

The role of Cheshire West and Chester Council is to act as an independent and impartial third party. It will not negotiate or mediate between individuals but will adjudicate on whether the hedge is adversely affecting the reasonable enjoyment of the complainant's property. 

(more about nuisance hedges .......)


Garden Compost Bins

Cheshire West and Chester Council can supply subsidised good quality Compost Bins to residents for £14.  They are top loading with a sliding door on the front for removal of compost.  They seem to hold a great amount, as the material in them continually sinks down all year.  To get details contact the Cheshire West and Chester Council: Home Compost Bin orderline on 0844 571 4444 quoting
reference CHE01W.  

 The thinking behind the policy is that there are strict targets for domestic and garden waste which the Council must endeavour to achieve, and getting us to compost our waste rather than having to collect it is much more environmentally friendly.

(more about refuse/recycling .......)


Cheshire Local Resilience Forum

Cheshire Local Resilience Forum is a multi agency group aiming to work together to protect your community and make Cheshire the best prepared place for any emergency. Covering Cheshire, Halton and Warrington they bring together your local emergency services, National Health Service and local authorities, plus other agencies that can help to prepare and respond to any event.

In doing so they:

  • Have arrangements in place for informing communities about all matters relating to civil protection.

  • Provide arrangements to warn and inform you in the event of an emergency.

  • Provide the public with a centralised source of information in the event of an incident.

  • Act as an educational tool for the public





Home Fire Safety Check

Did you know that Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service aims to provide a free Home Safety Assessment and free smoke detectors to every home in Cheshire during the next 5 years.  Make sure that you get your free check - it could save your life.  By ensuring that everyone is safe, the Fire Service is working to achieve its target of attending fewer fires.

Call 0800 389 0053 to arrange for a call.

Although you may have a smoke alarm already, are you sure that it is the correct type and fitted in the best location?  

Deaf residents can be provided with special alarms, possibly including a type which vibrates under a pillow!  

Click here for more info or to book a visit


Planning an Extension?

The Cheshire West and Chester Council website has a vast amount of useful information.  In particular there is copious information on its Planning page.  Different parts of Chester have different regulations, so residents planning any development may find that a quick chat to a member of the Planning Department (or even to a Parish Councillor) might save a lot of time, money and stress!

In particular, it is very useful to note that Guilden Sutton is mainly "washed-over" Green Belt - ie every square metre is Green Belt including the houses!   In some areas of Chester, the addition of small porches, conservatories etc is allowed without Planning Permission.  These are known as Permitted Development Rights, but they have been withdrawn from most of Guilden Sutton.

It is not just Planning Permission which must be obtained; Building Regulation Approval is also required, and there may be other approvals required such as where a tree may be subject to a Tree Protection Order.

(more about Planning  .......)


Domestic violence

The domestic violence outreach service can be contacted on 01606 351 375.

A freephone 24 hour domestic violence help line is available on 0808 2000 247.

The number for Child Line is 0800 11 11


Graffiti and vandalism

Report graffiti and vandalism Click here


Abandoned Vehicles

For further information if you find or suspect an abandoned vehicle Click here



Please let the Webmaster know if any amendments are necessary on this page.